Why does an auto order not work for a product if the Min/ Max is set to zero and I have negative stock?
When an auto order is created, products must have a stock value below the minimum order value AND a maximum order quantity of at least one.
Items that have negative stock quantities and zero minimum / maximum values will always meet the first condition but will not meet the second condition.
The auto order has been designed this way for several reasons:
- It is expected that if you wish to have physical quantities of a stocked item on site the maximum order quantity would be set to 1. This would include the product in the auto order function. Including items without a maximum quantity in an Auto Order could result in stock being ordered unnecessarily – If the item is reordered there will be physical stock received from the supplier.
- Occasionally negative stock quantities are a result of adjustments to products and can simply be fixed by actioning a Product Integrity Check
- It is expected that if an item is showing an unexplained negative stock value (i.e. it has not been sold in advance or has not been added on to a job before being received), a stocktake count would be completed for that product to ensure that there is no physical stock on site and then the stock quantity updated or zeroed at that time. You can report on products with negative stock to help with this, also a setting can be activated to warn a user when they are trying to sell negative stock.
- If you wish to sell items in advance without having them in stock, there are several other functions that can activated or options that can be used to manage this:
- Prompt to Order Products When Insufficient Stock is Available
- Occasionally non-stock items have been set to track quantities and need to have this removed – Instructions on how this can be resolved are here